As you grow older, you’ll start to experience age-related changes. Your metabolism will slow down which will affect your efforts to lose weight. You’ll notice that your body no longer responds to your old workout or nutrition habits, which makes losing weight difficult later in life.
Therefore, if you wish to maintain your desired weight or lose a few pounds, you will need to optimize your workout for better results. Measuring your metabolism rate and understanding your metabolic age can help you in your efforts to achieve your fitness goals.
At what age do you start gaining weight?
When you will start putting on weight depends on your personal situation. If you’re generally an active person who sticks to a healthy diet and exercises regularly, you’re less likely to gain weight than an inactive person who leads a more sedentary lifestyle.
Nonetheless, studies have shown that people slowly start gaining weight in their 30s. However, you’re likely to stop gaining weight after you turn 40. There are a number of reasons why it’s harder to lose and easier to gain weight during this period in your life.
Why is it easier to gain weight as you get older?
If you want to avoid gaining a lot of weight and ensure your health and well-being as you age, you first need to understand what causes weight gain in older adults. Here are some of the main reasons:
- Muscle loss. This is probably one of the biggest factors that causes weight gain in older adults. After you turn 30, you will experience sarcopenia, a process during which you lose lean muscle mass. Other age-related conditions may also cause muscle mass loss. Consequently, without lean muscle to burn fat, you will start to gain weight.
- Slow metabolism. The loss of muscle mass, age-related health conditions, and lifestyle changes will affect your metabolism, causing it to slow down. Naturally, your body won’t be able to burn as many calories, which will result in weight gain.
- Hormonal changes. During this period in life, you will also experience a change in hormones. In women, estrogen fluctuations before and during menopause may cause weight gain, especially in the belly area. In men, a testosterone drop makes building muscle and maintaining muscle mass more difficult, which leads to gaining weight.
- Lifestyle changes. As you age, your life will change, which will also affect your weight loss efforts. For instance, you won’t have as much time to exercise because you’ll have to take care of your family.
How can I boost my metabolism?
It’s important to know how certain lifestyle, workout, and nutritional changes may help you maintain your desired weight and even lose a few pounds. There are a few ways to boost your metabolism, but keep in mind that not everyone responds to the same stimuli in the same way. Here are a few suggestions you should consider implementing in your everyday life:
- Evaluate the required calorie intake for weight loss based on your metabolism.
- Include strength training in your regular workout routine to build muscle mass.
- Stay active on a daily basis and encourage your family members to join you.
- Optimize your workout based on your body type, metabolism, and lifestyle.
- Cook and plan your meals for a healthier diet and controlled calorie intake.
How do I know what my metabolism is?
Understanding your body and metabolism is crucial for getting maximum benefits from your fitness and nutrition plan. You also need to determine your calorie deficit for weight loss before implementing any nutritional changes. Therefore, it’s crucial that you get a deeper insight into your metabolism.
You can do this by carefully assessing your body and overall health and reading relevant materials on the topic. Of course, for more accurate information on your metabolism, you should undergo metabolic testing at a dedicated health and fitness center. This convenient, ten-minute test will provide you with invaluable information that you can then use to maximize your workout and weight loss efforts.
Find out your metabolism rate and type at Leo’s Fitness Lab
Leo’s Fitness Lab is the best of health and fitness centers in all of San Diego, located in the vicinity of Pioneer Park. Here, you can schedule time-efficient, accurate metabolic testing and learn more about your own body. Afterward, you will have an opportunity to discuss your results with one of our experienced and qualified trainers who will give you expert recommendations on how to achieve your desired weight. Our team can adjust your fitness routine for optimal benefits and exactly to your needs. Visit us today!