Seniors should get the recommended amount of exercise every chance they get, but it’s important they follow a few safety tips. Personal training can keep any senior safe and you can easily find a safe workout for seniors in San Diego. However, you should still learn how to exercise safely on your own. You’re never too old to get fit and healthy and if you adopt the right workout habits and approach, you’ll be able to improve your muscle tone. In addition, if you follow a safe, well-devised fitness plan, exercising might even help you age better. So, instead of worrying about getting hurt while working out, follow these simple steps to avoid injury and get on track toward your goals!
Tips for exercising safely as a seniorSeniors who’ve never been particularly active or have certain health conditions should make sure to ease into a new workout routine. Exercising can bring you a great number of benefits as long as you don’t overexert yourself. It’s highly recommended you apply the following steps to ensure your safety while working out:
- Talk to your doctor. You need to get medical clearance from your doctor before engaging in a fitness routine. They can advise you on how much to exercise, taking into consideration your physical condition, previous injuries, and other issues that may affect your health. They can also point out things that you may need to be careful about during your workout sessions.
- Create a fitness plan that meets your needs. You shouldn’t just take up any general fitness plan you find on the Internet. Instead, you should consult with a professional trainer and ask them to tailor a plan that will meet your specific needs. It should be adjusted to your current fitness levels, physical capabilities, health conditions, etc.
- Follow your own pace. Seniors shouldn’t put too much pressure on their bodies, and instead should take it slow and develop their own pace. It’s important you start gradually, beginning with short exercises. You should also space your workouts throughout the day and stop exercising the moment you feel any pain, shortness of breath, dizziness, etc.
- Stretch first. Before actually taking up a physical activity, set aside some time to stretch and warm up. In addition to helping you get ready for your session, regular stretching will also help you improve your flexibility, which will reflect in other aspects of your life.
- Stay hydrated while exercising. Always have a bottle of water within reach when working out to stay hydrated and energized. You should also drink fluids with plenty of electrolytes if you’re engaging in a particularly demanding activity. Hydration is essential for your health, so make sure to drink plenty of water.
- Complement your workout with a healthy diet plan. To achieve optimal fitness results and boost your overall health, you also need to adopt a healthy diet. In particular, make sure to eat plenty of protein to help your body with post-exercise recovery. This means your diet should include meat, eggs, yogurt, beans, and other protein-rich foods.
- Don’t forget to rest. Seniors shouldn’t force themselves to work out every single day. Instead, take enough time to recover and rest after your fitness sessions. Of course, you don’t have to spend days in bed. A slow-paced walk or some other gentle activity can help you stay active without straining your body.
- Find a personal trainer. Working out with a qualified, experienced professional is guaranteed to keep you both fit and safe. This will provide you with all the guidance and help you need.
- Consider the season. During hot, humid days, you should exercise early in the morning or late in the evening in a cool, pleasant environment. As for working out in cold weather, make sure to dress appropriately to avoid getting hypothermia.
Types of safe exercises for seniorsChoosing the right type of exercise is another safe practice you must follow. Under no circumstances should you engage in overly demanding activities such as long-distance running unless you’ve been preparing and training for that particular challenge. In addition, it’s also important that you follow a balanced fitness plan that includes different types of exercises. This will allow you to target different muscles, improve your flexibility and balance, and reap other important benefits. There are more than a few safe activities you can try, including:
- Stretching. As previously mentioned, stretching is essential for staying flexible. From upper-back stretches to thigh stretches, you should focus on your entire body. Some activities such as yoga place great emphasis on stretching, flexibility, balance, etc.
- Water sports and aerobics. Exercising in water is a whole-body activity that can help you increase your fitness levels and reduce stress.
- Balance-focused workout. If you want to improve your balance and reduce the risk of falls, you should try to improve your balance through exercise. You can try flamingo stands, standing on one leg with one arm in the air, etc.
- Walking. Although simple, this type of everyday activity can bring you a great number of health benefits without putting too much pressure on your body. Going for a long walk and enjoying the scenic views of Mission Bay are both physically and mentally beneficial.
- Strength training. This is another type of workout you can engage in as long as you keep it slow, safe and balanced. Try some simple activities such as abdominal contractions, wall pushups, knee lifts, etc.